Sunday, February 9, 2020

"The Audacity of Hope" by Barack Obama

I have been alternating between serious and light books. This was a book I wanted to listen to, to understand Obama more. Even though he's out of office, he's still an interesting person to follow.
I liked reading about the man behind the office. He came from a difficult situation, and worked hard to become who he was. While I disagreed with most of his policies, reading about his life made me understand him more. One of the things I liked the most was reading about how he met Michelle. He was going to law school and got an internship for the summer. He only had 3 suits, that he had just bought. The lawyer he was working with was a strong, tall woman. When he asked her out, she said no. He eventually wore her down. She was a really good partner for him. As a parent, he worked hard to try to be there for his children. Even when he was a Senator, he flew home every weekend to spend time with his family.
I really appreciated his thoughts on faith. He grew up in a house that didn't have religion in it. But he decided to be baptized in a church as an adult. His mother, who was a skeptic her whole life, became afraid of what was ahead when she was dying of cancer.


As a person who did not vote for Obama (twice), I thoroughly enjoyed this book. This was written in 2006, before he had run for president. So I wonder what the book would be like if he had written it in 2017 instead of 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment